Northern Nevada DONATES: The Northern Nevada Community Foundation (sponsored)
Year of local creation: 1998
Mission statement: Strengthening our community through philanthropy and leadership by connecting people who care about the causes that matter.
Fundamental values: The northern Nevada community encompasses everyone who lives here – all people of all backgrounds, identities and abilities. Each of us matters. How we relate to each other, treat each other and live together with the goal of strengthening our common community is at the forefront of our awareness. Our Board of Directors and staff are guided by six core values:
- We are committed to providing valuable service to our community.
- We encourage innovation, collaboration and imagination.
- We are a committed community leader and an ally. We seek to develop and influence philanthropic leaders.
- We value inclusion, diversity and equity. Our organization is characterized by a generous and benevolent spirit.
- We are responsible stewards of the resources entrusted to us. We operate with integrity, transparency and credibility.
- We are a results-driven organization committed to excellence.
Role of the Community Foundation: Our primary work on behalf of our donors and the communities of northern Nevada is philanthropic advice, grantmaking, charitable investment management, leadership and community engagement. The assets of the Community Foundation consist of donor-advised funds, scholarships, designated and inherited funds, and the community endowment. Launched in 2019, the Community Endowment is an endless ongoing charitable resource for Nevada. Donations of all sizes are pooled and invested to address widespread community challenges and emergency relief for generations to come. The Community Foundation serves as a community leader, permanent charitable resource, and philanthropic advisor in charitable giving.
- Financial Scam Prevention Initiative
- Caregiver support initiative
- Affordable housing
- Non-profit academy for new executive directors
- Family Estate Planning Series
Collaborations and awareness:
- Professional Advisory Board, over 60+ lawyers, financial planners, CPAs and other advisors currently.
- Corporate Philanthropy Partners focuses on social responsibility.
- Chris Askin, President and CEO
Board of directors:
Composed of a maximum of 24 members, is led by the current leaders:
- Kevin Melcher, President, Retired, Elko County School District Administrator and Former Regent of the Nevada Higher Education System
- Beau Keenan, Vice President, Dickson Realty, Owner and Top Producer
- Elaine Alexander, Treasurer, Chartered Accountant, Sole Owner
- Jason Morris, Secretary, Woodburn and Wedge, Lawyer, Estate Planning
- In addition, an advisory board of over 20 members further expands the community’s contribution
This content has been provided and paid for by The Northern Nevada Community Foundation.